Friday 2 October is our next SMVSC day of the year, where we collapse the timetable to cover our PSHE curriculum. The day will allow children to come in their branded school PE kit. Below is a brief outline of the topics that will be covered during the day by each year group. The theme for this day is Mental Health and Wellbeing.
For more detailed information on objectives and ways you can support your child, please look at our website curriculum maps for a more thorough outline of what each lesson will entail. Each year group will cover the following sessions throughout the day:
- Mental Health Awareness (All year groups) – The content covered will vary for each year group but everybody will have an awareness of what mental health is and why it is important to acknowledge that there is good and bad mental health.
- Growth Mindset (Year 7 & 8) – Pupils will be introduced to Growth Mindset and take part in a poster competition outlining the difference between a growth and fixed mindset and how they can develop their mindset. This will link with transition and aspirations for their moves into the next Key Stage.
- An art activity – the specific task will vary for each year group. Pupils will understand that Art and craft is good for well-being and mental health. This also gives pupils an opportunity to show off their artistic flair to their form teachers and practice their artistic skills.
- Positive thinking – This session will involve pupils looking at a range of situations, turning negative thoughts and emotions into positive ones. They will discuss ways to be more resilient and relish challenges.
- Each year group will have a session about Relaxation. Half of this session will be led by our school chaplain in a whole year group meditation and relaxation session and then back to the classroom for a second relaxation exercise and discuss how they can help themselves with strategies to stay relaxed if they get stressed and the importance of relaxing.
- Enjoy time with their form teacher!
Although some of the sessions for different year groups will be on similar subjects, the sessions are differentiated to suit the age group.
If you have any concerns, please contact the school regarding your query but also look at the school website curriculum maps which have ideas about what you could do with your child.