Thursday 12 September 2019
September – Our Lady of Sorrows
“And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.” Luke 2:34–35 ESV
During the month of September within the Catholic Church, the whole month is dedicated to the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady.
Mary the Mother of Jesus, is our Spiritual Mother if we are Catholic Christians and she is also the Mother of all Christians because Jesus gave her to us (those who follow Jesus) and who are represented by the person of St John who stood with Mary on Calvary when Jesus was dying on the Cross.
She is interested in and cares for all of our needs, hopes sorrows and joys. She too, hears all our prayers and presents them to Jesus on our behalf, just like a friend or family member will offer to pray for us. Mary can help us in our times of sorrow because she went through some tough times during her life as she lived her life with Jesus and St Joseph.
Her Seven Sorrows are;
- The prophecy of Simeon when Jesus was presented as a baby in the Temple.
- The Escape into Egypt when Jesus’ infant life was threatened by Herod who attempted to have Him killed.
- The Finding of Jesus in the Temple in Jerusalem after He had been lost for three days.
- Mary meeting Jesus on the terrible road to Calvary as He was carrying the Cross to His cruel death by crucifixion.
- Mary standing at the foot of the Cross staying close to Jesus as He suffered and died.
- When Jesus’ Body was taken down from the Cross and placed in Mary’s arms.
- When the Body of Jesus was laid to rest in the tomb.
Some Catholic Christians choose to say special prayers to remember Mary’s Sorrows and these are prayed on beads like a Rosary set called a “Chaplet”. Prayers remembering the many tears that Our Blessed Lady shed during her life with Jesus and St Joseph are also commemorated.
We especially remember Our Lady’s Sorrows on 15th September each year. Let us ask Mary, our spiritual Mother, to stay close to us in our times of sorrow and sadness and may She help us and pray for us in all our trials and assist us in all our needs.
Our prayer this week:
O Mary Immaculate, Most Blessed Mother of Jesus and Mother of Sorrow, comfort us in our times of need and pray for us. We ask this through Jesus our Lord. Amen